Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My name is Mel and I’m an __________

a. Actor
b. Alcoholic
c. Angry a*hole
d. Anti-Semite
e. All of the above

In ever cynical Hollywood, the response to Mr. Gibson’s latest embarrassment was something less than outrage. One imagines the memo from his agent:

Stop drinking! I’m telling you, Mel.
You know we have movies to sell.
When acting the critic,
Who’s anti-Semitic,
Your Passion has not served you well.

Gibson Arrest Probe Centers on Why Information Was Withheld
Civilian watchdog is investigating whether the actor got special treatment.
After the star was booked, a deputy drove him to his car.
By Richard Winton, Andrew Blankstein and Megan Garvey,
The Los Angeles Times, 8/2/06

5 comments:

Annie said...

When we saw this report on the news, my husband said, "That couldn't have happened to a better guy!"

The correct answer, despite his denial of "d", appears to be "e".

Jude Cowell said...

Your limerick on the matter is the best thing I've read about the whole schmear!

Jude

The Limerick Savant said...

Thanks, Jude.

Annie, I tend to agree but there might be some who dispute option "a." Too bad there are 12 step programs for only two of the choices.

spookyrach said...

I agree with Jude!

The Limerick Savant said...

Thank you too, Spooky.

As I think about it what really irked me was Mr. Gibson using his alcoholism as an excuse for his comments. Yes, alcohol lowers inhibitions but it doesn't create such extreme views out of thin air. Methinks this Hamlet doth protest too much.