Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This is not Mission Impossible!

Inconvenient or not, I implore
You to take in the Truth, ala Gore.
The glacial-ice pace
That our leaders embrace
Fuels a crisis we cannot ignore.

If you haven’t already, I urge you to see the film. It will be mobilizing for those of you that recognize the urgency of the global warming issue and enlightening for those that have been swayed by the corporate spin doctors.

I must admit that the cynic in me (and what part isn’t?) couldn’t help but think about the springboard this movie could be for a "Gore in 2008" campaign. I hope that impression doesn’t obscure the important message about what we are doing to our environment. But maybe if the guy who "was once the next president of the United States" was, I wouldn’t have been writing the following back in 2002.

Mr. Bush has a plan, that is bold,
To stop global warmth, we are told.
The Kyoto Accord
Is completely ignored
To ensure that the plan leaves us cold.

We tried to do our part by walking to the film and, even several weeks into the run, the theater was pretty full for Monday bargain night. I can’t vouch for the ratio of hybrids to SUVs in the parking lot, however. And my critics will remind me how I contribute to the problem with all the "hot air" generated at this blog. I guess I need to go plant another tree.

An Inconvenient Truth (2006)
Directed by Davis Guggenheim
In a theater near enough to walk to

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could not agree more. Haven't seen the film yet however.

Did my "...giant leap for mankind." back in 1997 when I traded my Lincoln Towncar for a Geo Metro. Still got it and still love it!

Cowtown Pattie said...

My dear Savant, I guess it must be the nasty heatwave or something, but I just feel so wrung out with the state of the country, the world, and the environment.

A defeatist attitude solves nothing, but lately, I feel like crawling into a small, cool, quiet place and hiding with a big stack of books and pretending the bogey man doesn't exist.

I do need to see this film and I will, but geez..I may need some Prozac...